Optics Unique know-how – in demand world-wide.
Industry Profile Optics Industry
World-renowned companies such as Carl Zeiss, Schott or Jenoptik began in Thuringia and today they set international standards in the field of optical technologies.
Nearly three quarters of the companies are located in the technology region Jena-Erfurt-Ilmenau and Gera. Here, multinational powerhouses such as Carl Zeiss and JENOPTIK work in close proximity with a number of highly innovative hidden champions as well as excellent research Institutes.
Facts & Figures
- 187 companies
- 15,200 employees
- About 1,300 employees at 9 university and non-university research institutions
- Around 2,000 students in optics and laser technology
- More than 500 apprentices in optics-related professions
- 66% export quota
- EUR 3,1 Billion in revenue
Key products and technologies
- Wide-ranging expertise is available in virtually all aspects of optical technologies.
- Good manufacturer-mix: From makers of circuit elements and components to optical design specialists right up to system suppliers, you are guaranteed to meet the right partner in Thuringia.
- Manufacturers cultivate close ties with the biotechnology, controls, instrumentation and medical technology industries.
As a traditional optics stronghold, Thuringia has a deep pool of specialists for all aspects of optical technology.
Thuringian universities have Special degree programs and Departments:
- Photonics at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena
- Combined Master and PhD programs in the fields of optics and photonics at the Abbe School of Photonics (FSU)
- Optronics as specialization in the Mechancial Engineering program as well as Mechatronics, Micro and Nanotechnology at the Ilmenau University of Technology
- Laser and Optotechnologies, Ophthalmic /Optometry and Optometry/Vision Science at the Ernst Abbe University of Applied Sciences Jena
Vocational and further training
In Thuringia specialists are trained in the following professions i.a.:
- Precision opticians and mechanics
- Mechatronics technicians
- Process mechanic in glass technology
- Physics laboratory assistants
Thuringian companies put a high priority on ongoing employee training. For example, the Jena Training Center - a Joint venture of Schott, Carl Zeiss and Jenoptik - produces highly trained specialists.
Various universities provide relevant continuing education programs. Also, the Carl Zeiss AG and Thuringian research institutions jointly organize regular JENA Carl Zeiss Optics Colloquium on a range of topics.
Research and development
A wide-ranging R&D landscape is at your disposal for innovative projects, comprehensively covering the spectrum of optical Technologies.
Selected non-university research institutions
- Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering – IOF, Jena
- Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology – IPHT, Jena
- Institute for Microelectronic - and Mechatronic -Systems (IMMS), Ilmenau
- Research Institute for Microsensor Technology (CiS), Erfurt
- Günter Köhler Institute for Joining Technology and Materials Testing, Jena
Selected university research institutes
- Institute of Applied Optics (FSU Jena)
- Institute of Optics and Quantum Electronics (FSU Jena)
- Institute of Condensed Matter Theory and Optics (FSU Jena)
- Otto Schott Institute for Material Research (FSU Jena)
- Abbe Center of Photonics (FSU Jena)
- Lighting Engineering Department (TU Ilmenau)
- Technical Optics Department (TU Ilmenau)
- Optical Design, Modeling and Simulation Optical Systems (TU Ilmenau)
- Inorganic Nonmetallic Materials Department at the Institute of Materials Engineering (TU Ilmenau)
Research institutes in the field of micro-nano-optics
- Abbe Centrer of Photonics, FSU Jena
- Center for Advanced Micro and Nano Optics, Jena
- amos application center for microoptical systems, Erfurt
- Institute for Applied Physics, FSU Jena
- ADVA Optical Networking, Meiningen
- Allied Vision Technologies GmbH, Stadtroda
- ams Sensors Germany GmbH, Jena
- asphericon GmbH, Jena
- biolitec AG, Jena
- Carl Zeiss Microscopy GmbH, Jena
- Carl Zeiss Meditec AG, Jena
- Cross Match Technologies GmbH, Jena
- Docter Optics GmbH, Neustadt an der Orla
- ORAFOL Fresnel Optics GmbH, Apolda
- GÖPEL electronic GmbH, Jena
- Hellma Optik GmbH, Jena
- Jena-Optronik GmbH, Jena
- JENOPTIK AG, Jena
- Jenoptik Polymer Systems GmbH, Triptis
- LEONI Fiber Optics GmbH, Neuhaus-Schierschnitz
- Photonic Sense GmbH, Eisenach
- POG Präzisionsoptik Gera GmbH, Gera
- Vision & Control GmbH, Suhl