Optics Unique know-how – in demand world-wide.
Industry Profile Optics Industry
World-renowned companies such as Carl Zeiss, Schott or Jenoptik began in Thuringia and today they set international standards in the field of optical technologies.
Nearly three quarters of the companies are located in the technology region Jena-Erfurt-Ilmenau and Gera. Here, multinational powerhouses such as Carl Zeiss and JENOPTIK work in close proximity with a number of highly innovative hidden champions as well as excellent research Institutes.
Facts & Figures
- 187 companies
- 15,800 employees
- About 1,300 employees at 9 university and non-university research institutions
- Around 5,000 students in optics and laser technology
- More than 500 apprentices in optics-related professions
- 66% export quota
Key products and technologies
- Wide-ranging expertise is available in virtually all aspects of optical technologies.
- Good manufacturer-mix: From makers of circuit elements and components to optical design specialists right up to system suppliers, you are guaranteed to meet the right partner in Thuringia.
- Manufacturers cultivate close ties with the biotechnology, controls, instrumentation and medical technology industries.
As a traditional optics stronghold, Thuringia has a deep pool of specialists for all aspects of optical technology.
First-rate universities with relevant majors and departments lay a solid foundation for success. This includes:
- Photonics at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena
- Combined Master and PhD programs in the fields of optics and photonics at the Abbe School of Photonics (FSU)
- Optronics as specialization in the Mechancial Engineering program as well as Mechatronics, Micro and Nanotechnology at the Ilmenau University of Technology
- Laser and Optotechnologies, Ophthalmic /Optometry and Optometry/Vision Science at the Ernst Abbe University of Applied Sciences Jena
Vocational and further training
In Thuringia specialists are trained in the following professions i.a.:
- Precision opticians and mechanics
- Mechatronics technicians
- Process mechanic in glass technology
- Physics laboratory assistants
Thuringian companies attach great importance to constant training and further education of their workforce. For example, the Jena Education Center with its shareholders Schott, Carl Zeiss and Jenoptik, trains highly qualified specialists.
Friedrich Schiller University Jena, the TU Ilmenau and Ernst Abbe University of Applied Sciences Jena also offer various continuing education programs. Together with Thuringian research institutions, Carl Zeiss AG regularly host the JENA Carl Zeiss Optics Colloquium on various topics.
Research and development
A wide-ranging R&D landscape is at your disposal for innovative projects, comprehensively covering the spectrum of optical Technologies.
Selected non-university research institutions
- Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering – IOF, Jena
- Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology – IPHT, Jena
- Institute for Microelectronic - and Mechatronic -Systems (IMMS), Ilmenau
- Research Institute for Microsensor Technology (CiS), Erfurt
- Günter Köhler Institute for Joining Technology and Materials Testing, Jena
Selected university research institutes
- Institute of Applied Optics (FSU Jena)
- Institute of Optics and Quantum Electronics (FSU Jena)
- Institute of Condensed Matter Theory and Optics (FSU Jena)
- Otto Schott Institute for Material Research (FSU Jena)
- Abbe Center of Photonics (FSU Jena)
- Lighting Engineering Department (TU Ilmenau)
- Technical Optics Department (TU Ilmenau)
- Inorganic Nonmetallic Materials Department at the Institute of Materials Engineering (TU Ilmenau)
Research institutes in the field of micro-nano-optics
- Center for Innovation Competence “ultra-optics”, Jena
- Center for Advanced Micro and Nano Optics, Jena
- amos application center for microoptical systems, Erfurt
- Institute for Applied Physics, FSU Jena
- ADVA Optical Networking, Meiningen
- Allied Vision Technologies GmbH, Stadtroda
- ams Sensors Germany GmbH, Jena
- asphericon GmbH, Jena
- biolitec AG, Jena
- Carl Zeiss Microscopy GmbH, Jena
- Carl Zeiss Meditec AG, Jena
- Cross Match Technologies GmbH, Jena
- Docter Optics GmbH, Neustadt an der Orla
- ORAFOL Fresnel Optics GmbH, Apolda
- GÖPEL electronic GmbH, Jena
- Hellma Optik GmbH, Jena
- Jena-Optronik GmbH, Jena
- JENOPTIK AG, Jena
- Jenoptik Polymer Systems GmbH, Triptis
- LEONI Fiber Optics GmbH, Neuhaus-Schierschnitz
- Photonic Sense GmbH, Eisenach
- POG Präzisionsoptik Gera GmbH, Gera
- Vision & Control GmbH, Suhl